We are fortunate to be assisted by a wonderful group of volunteers who play an important role in helping our learners achieve the very best from their learning. Volunteers support in English, maths and ESOL classes (English for Speakers of other Languages). Support is also given in classes for adults with learning difficulties and disabilities. The Outreach team offer short courses for older people, jobseekers and other groups who also benefit from volunteer support, as do Family learning, whose courses aim to improve the skills of parents.
Our volunteers work with either individual learners or groups, under the guidance of our tutors. Classes are small and learners work towards Functional Skills qualifications from Entry Level to Level 2. Students can also study for GCSEs in English and maths. Some volunteers are placed in language classes or may support learners with a disability or learning difficulty in leisure classes.
Reasons volunteers give for working with us:
- Volunteering allows me to give something back.
- I need to gain an up to date reference for my C.V.
- I’m considering applying for a Learning Support Assistant position and wanted to see if this was a job I would enjoy.
- I am able to use my ability and experience to help other people.
- I can do something that helps others.
- I enjoy the interaction with tutors and learners. It’s a stimulating, friendly environment. It’s good to see positive results in the progress made by learners.
- It’s an opportunity to meet people who are willing to learn.
- I get a sense of helping and the feeling of being part of the community.
What are we looking for?
- A calm and encouraging manner, that will help learners gain skills and confidence.
- Good verbal communication skills and an ability to listen.
- Individuals who are confident in maths and/or English. (We ask for GCSE A-C grade or the equivalent in order to support in these classes).
- A commitment to support a two hour class once a week, for the minimum of a year.
- A desire to help learners improve their chances in life
Benefits to you:
- The gaining of skills and experience to access new career opportunities.
- You can share your skills and connect with different people.
- Knowledge that you have made a difference.
- It will make you feel good and according to research may help you to live longer!
- You will receive training, travel expenses and time credits to spend on our courses. (1 hour of volunteering pays for 1 hour of tuition, excluding 1 day courses and Level 3+).
Please email: email@example.com or Telephone: 01296 383470 for an application form or further information.